Sunday, April 14, 2013

Trail Running

Today I went on a 5 mile trail run with a good friend. I've never done a trail run and to be honest I didn't really know the difference between a trail run and a regular run? I run the Folsom trails all the time! I'm a newb at the running thing and sometimes I kind of really dislike it. 

So we went on this trail right by Sophia parkway. There were a few different trails to choose from, a wide one that a lot of people were running on, a big open one along the lake, and a narrow one that took you straight into Gods beautiful creation. We took the narrow trail. Running is a really good time for me to reflect. It clears my mind and quite honestly I come up with some of my brilliant ideas while running (hence this blog mwahaha). I was in complete awe of the scenery. It was absolutely breathtaking. God is the most beautiful artist. His creation is extraordinary. I had to stop several times to take pictures because I wanted to take it all in. I hadn't been in this much awe since being in Acheber, Ethiopia. 

Trail running is a lot like the Christian walk. When you start, you're a little nervous and maybe even intimidated. When you jump in you are overwhelmed by the beauty and it's exciting. Then you hit your first hill. CRAP. Running up that hill burns but when you get to the top, you feel so accomplished and if you ran up the whole thing, it feels completely worth it. There's tons of rocks, mud, holes, bugs, etc. If you don't pay attention, you're going to end up face planting. However, if you don't take your time, you miss the beauty of the sun hitting the lake, the birds flying, the different flowers, and trees. Today while I was running, I couldn't help but be so thankful for this beautiful life that I have. There have been so many ups and downs (hills). Running up that hill sucks (broken relationships, fights, money, my brokenness) and when I get to the top I'm so happy because while it sucked, God walked with me the whole way. Running downhill is my favorite. Its my chance to catch my breathe. Yesterday I served at the Student ministry booth at Lakeside, I got live scanned, and committed to being a leader at Blitz Camp for the middle schoolers. This was like running down that hill and catching my breathe. When you're trail running, you're jumping around the rocks, and running in what feels like zig zags. I even screamed when I saw a big black bug. The Christian walk for me has never been a steady paced, flat, straight, rock free running trail. I mess up all the time because those rocks get in my way. I've even fallen flat on my face. When I take my eyes off the trail (God), I fall, every time. 

Sometimes, I want to run to the water and put my feet in, and then I realize its freezing and I run back to shore where its safe. Saying YES to God is similar to this situation. The shore feels safe and comfortable and God doesn't calls us to be comfortable. God put Ethiopia on my heart. People always ask me if I could be a long term missionary in Ethiopia. In my head it sounds like a great idea but realistically, could I really say yes?! Would I rather stay on the shore? What I've learned is, if I'm totally comfortable then I'm probably not growing in my faith. I mean I'm sure it was TOTALLY comfortable for Jesus on that Cross. You know...dying for our sins and all. I don't know all the answers but I do know that the Christian walk is the most fulfilling thing life has to offer. Its beautiful and scary. The amount of grace God gives is overwhelming. Everyday he is teaching me something new about what it means to be a follower and what it means to be the Daughter of a King. THE KING. 

I encourage you to hit up a trail and take in God's beautiful creation. Take the narrow path less traveled. Say yes to God when he asks you to run up that hill. Be careful for the rocks and the big bugs. Even if you fall, he'll be there to pick you up :)  

Motivational Ethiopia Verse:
"God not only loves you very much but also has put His hand on you for something special." 1 Thessalonians 1:4 The Message



On the trail today :) Finished! 

Teaching the nuggets how to play Duck Duck Goose in Acheber, Ethiopia

No comments:

Post a Comment